Critical Reflection

 Module Learning

Prior to taking this module, I foresee myself struggling with the verbal communication aspect of the module as that is my weakness and I am aware it is far from being sub-par. On the other hand, I knew I was proficient in written communication and would do well when it comes to writing academic reports. My goal for the module was to enhance both my written and verbal communication skills such that I am able to articulate my thoughts and ideas clearly be it in report writing or oral presentation.

At the beginning of the module, I was exposed to writing a formal email, a summary report, and a pitch video. The writing of the formal email and report was not much of a burden to me because as mentioned, I am proficient in writing as well researching for reliable information online. However, as for the pitch video, it was the complete opposite. I was aware of the objectives of it and the content that I was supposed to convey, but I was unable to fully express myself into words which led to my pitch being unconvincing.

As I stand at the end of this trimester, I can safely say that this module has helped me significantly in terms of communication and critical thinking. One aspect of the module that contributed to this is the use of the PEEL framework which stands for Point, Evidence, Explanation, Link. This framework has boosted my communication skills as it serves as a guideline for me in report writing so that content is well-structured. On top of that, the Paul-Elder framework has skyrocketed my critical thinking skills by providing a structured approach to analyse my thinking processes and evaluate information and arguments. This is especially helpful when writing the group tech report and presentation as I am asking myself questions to produce information that is as detailed as possible.

 

Project Learning

As for the group project, I took the role of the secretary. My role was to jot down notes of discussions and ideas our group had and insert them into the meeting minutes. These tasks were tedious in the beginning as I had to take down every note, ideas and suggestions provided by my other group mates. In addition, my group members always had different ideas and opinions from one another and therefore, we had to constantly decide on ways to solve the conflict and be on the same boat. This experience has taught me to be open-minded towards each member’s ideas and suggestions as well as be accepting in receiving feedback from others. I learnt that every individual thinks differently and one must be open-minded in order to learn from others and see things from a different perspective.

During the preparation for the group presentation, I applied what was taught in class on how to prepare the slides and also how to effectively deliver our message of the presentation to the audience. I learnt that an excellent presentation starts with crafting of the slides, being well-prepared, knowing full well of the content presented and having a positive first impression to the audience. These are some key points that I vividly remember that I believe has boosted my confidence and presentation skills.

One takeaway from this project experience is the skills that I have learnt in terms of presentation, writing, and researching as these skills will be helpful to me and relevant throughout the rest of my time in SIT and also in my future workplace.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Introductory Letter

Quote Interpretation